11.3.08

Fashion crime capital - only kidding!!!!

In Norway there’s no such thing as bad weather, apparently, just bad clothing. Well there’s plenty of bad, bad clothing about, believe me, but the point is that no matter what the weather, children go outside to play. Some adults do too. Not like us Irish cissies for whom a drop of rain is license to brew yet another cuppa tea and sink further into the sofa, these Scandinavians think nothing of continuing the outdoor life even when it’s raining buckets. And here’s the key: a parkdress.
I’d never seen or heard of such an item before I moved here, but here’s a photo (child removed)for those of you who may be oblivious to the fact that such practically exists. Or for others, who having left for warmer climes, may want to reminisce.
These fetching outfits are brought out with the first snowflake in autumn and are worn every single day by children walking to school and playing outdoors right through until May. As we’re experiencing the mildest and wettest winter/spring in millenniums, there’s no snow left on the ground, very little ice and plenty of wet sand for little bodies to delight in. And this is the result: wet, sandy clothes for Mommy to carry home in the car and wipe and dry for the next day. Waterproof gloves which always end up wet-through are also de riguer for the little ones. And hats with ear flaps. And fleece-lines wellies.
Apparently, such 'outfits’ are also available in adult sizes. Well. Let’s not even go there....

4 comments:

Jo said...

I often hear people say they left the Northern Hemisphere because of the weather. I love the way Norwegians seem to embrace it more than any other nation?

Unknown said...

Joanne
You wouldn't believe how often I dream of emigrating to Australia because of the weather. Forget about the grass being greener, I want the days to be sunnier!

The housewife said...

LOL that picture brought back many memories. I just threw away my son's the other day coz he has outgrown them an nobody wears them around here. The kids just get wet and carry on.....

Unknown said...

Caroline
When I moved to Norway I needed a tutorial on kids' outdoor-wear as mine had never even owned shoes. I'm almost certain that when we leave Norway, we'll be leaving them behind. No - absolutely certain! Can't imagine life here without them though.
Jo